Door pulls might be small, but have a huge effect on the look of your door. The mood or styles of your home you want to convey greatly determine which pulls or knobs you choose. They are available in various sizes, shapes and designs, giving you a wide selection to choose from. Actually, there are certain things that you need to consider before buying new door pulls.
Here are some useful tips to help you choose the right pulls for your doors:
1. The Size of a Door Pull (Short or Tall) – The distance between the grasping part of the door pull and the surface of the door is another thing you must consider before buying your favorite door handles. Shorter pulls, for instance, make your fingers come into contact with the door surface than taller ones and this will wear on the door finish over time. Darker door finishes will eventually lighten around the handle and lighter finishes darken around it from dirt and grease.
2. The Feel is Very Important – Most of the time you will be using the handles on your door, so how the door handle feels in your hand is something you must put into proper consideration. They come in different designs and texture, making them to have different look and feel. If you are ordering online, buy for some samples first to get their feel. Actually, you would be surprised by how many door pulls that look extremely benign, which would be uncomfortable to your hand.
3. Style and Shape – Both door pulls and knobs come in different shapes and styles. They can literally take a design of just anything! For instance, depending on shape and style of a given handle design or a door handle that have a long extension, can easily catch on clothing like pleats and pockets on waist-high when going passed them. It is therefore important to consider how the ends of a handle extend out beyond the posts, which attach it to the door.
4. Drop Handles – These are door pulls that dangle or hang vertically from a small loop or hook. They are also used on cabinet drawers where you need to bring them to a horizontal position to be able to pull a door or cabinet drawer open. If you are thinking to buy drop handles, think of buying finger-lift style or any other style you think is suitable for you as these designs may be very annoying for some.
5. Understand the Finish – The finishing is very important when it comes to door pulls. Finishes on pulls and knobs may change and wear over time and it is mainly determined by the type of material used. For instance, oil-rubbed bronze will tend to wear and reveal a completely different color and texture in the wear areas. If brass is also not periodically polished or protected with the right lacquer, it will tarnish over time as well.
Conclusively, after considering all these factors when buying your door pulls, it is recommended to purchase more than the number you need. Even though they are expensive, it is good to know that styles come and go and in case you break or damage one, you will not have a hard time looking for the same style from one shop to another.
Get the most comfortable door pulls from Equip Design. They will handle the complete installation of your doors pulls and locks. They also have accessories you can use to beautify your home.